Sunday 21 April 2013

Weekday breakfast: Steel cut oats with roasted rhubard and apple

As the weather gets cooler my mornings change from fruity smoothies to something warming. Like most people I have to be up and out the door fairly early five days a week. To be able to do this (with out skipping other parts of the morning routine like showering) I need breakfast options that are fast. I also need my breakfasts to be filling. The last few winters I have taken to making big batches of oats that I can warm and top with fruit to make a fast, filling and nutritious breakfast porridge without an instant sachet in sight. 
I love steel cut oats. But one thing that always puts people off them is the cooking time. I tend to cook a big batch on a Sunday night and then keep them in the fridge for week day breakfasts. I have tried multiple methods of cooking steel cut oats including baking them in the oven, slow cookers and soaking. This recipe is by far the more simple but I think produces the best result.

If you are someone who eats breakfast at work you could put it in individual containers with your desired toppings to be warmed quickly when you arrive at work. If you are in need of more portable or quick breakfast ideas see here and here. And for those of you who read and loved the Laura Ingalls Wilder books read here

 
 Steel cut oats (makes 4 serves)
 3 cups water
1 cup steel cut oats
pinch of sea salt (makes the oats taste so much better)

Place the water, salt and oats in a large saucepan over a medium heat. Bring to the boil then reduce heat to the lowest possible setting. Simmer stirring occasionally from 20-30minutes or until the oats are tender and creamy.  If you want more serves for the week you can easily double or triple the quantities. Will keep in the fridge for about 5 days.

Roasted rhubarb and apple
a bunch of rhubarb
2 large apples


Preheat the oven to 180 degrees. Wash and chop the rhubarb and apple. Place in a oven proof tin and add 1/4 cup of water. Cover with foil and place in the oven for about 30minutes or until tender. Allow to cool and then store in the fridge for the week. 

Ideas for extra toppings
seeds (sunflower, hemp, pumpkin, chia, flax)
nut butters (almond, cashew, brazil, peanut)
Toasted coconut
Dash of coconut milk
maple syrup
coconut sugar
raw honey

In the morning
In a small saucepan place 1 cup of the cooked oats with a little water or milk of your choice (coconut is delicious but you only need a dash). Warm through. Throw the oats in a bowl and top with the roasted fruit. Finish with anything extra you like. I love another dash of coconut milk, some toasted coconut and hemp seeds. Give me a herbal tea on the side and you have one happy morning person in under five minutes. Now if only I could move a little quicker in other areas of the morning, then I wouldn't be running out the door at the last minute anymore!



**We are currently away on holidays, I will return in May with more regular recipes***

No comments:

Post a Comment