Friday 15 March 2013

waste not, want not carrot cake

After years of waiting and procrastinating I finally bought myself a juicer.  After much research and tossing up the different options (and hugely different price tags) I finally got a Hurom Slow juicer which I found second hand on gumtree. The review that finally sold me was this one and I have to say I agree with everything they have said, it really is a pretty awesome juicer... and SO easy to clean. If you are in the market for a new kitchen appliance I really recommend keeping an eye on gumtree, although it may not be there exactly when you want it if you keep checking really good stuff gets posted, often at really good prices and it is a great way to get something often only lightly used.
One thing that has put me off buying a juicer is what to do with all the left over pulp. It seems very wasteful to throw it away but we don't currently have a compost system (this one is on the wish list!). So I have been brainstorming and researching ways to reuse the pulp from making juice.  This carrot cake was my first attempt to do some pulp recycling.  It was based on a carrot and oat cookie recipe I tried from another blog (which was a total flop, way to dry and hard... yuck) but it got me thinking about how to use the same idea to make something with my left over pulp. This cake is super moist and sweet but not sickly. It keeps well in the fridge but is really delicious either at room temperature or slightly warmed. I didn't ice it but if you like icing on cakes go ahead a have a go, I think it is pretty darn good the way it is. I made some very willing taste testers try it for me as well and we were all in agreement, it is a super delicious carrot cake. 
 Makes 1 loaf tin:

1 1/2 cups carrot pulp (or grated carrot)
1 cup oat flour
1/2 cup rolled oats
2 tsp baking powder
1/3 cup of coconut oil
1/3 cup honey
1/3 cup raisins
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp cardamon 
1/2 cup soy or coconut yogurt 

Preheat the over to 180 degrees. Line a loaf baking tin with baking paper. Throw all the ingredients in a large bowl and mix well. The mixture will look very thick but don't stress. Press the mix firmly into the lined baking tin. Sprinkle with extra oats or shredded coconut if you wish. Bake in the oven for 30-40 minutes or until the top feels dry and it has started to turn golden. Leave to cool for at least 10 minutes and then enjoy. It will firm up as it cools due to the coconut oil, if it is very soft put it in the fridge until firm. Will keep well in the fridge for about 5 days.

  





No comments:

Post a Comment