Friday 1 March 2013

super green smoothies



If you have looked through many healthy living magazines, blogs or books lately you would have most likely heard about green smoothies. The basic idea is you blend a combo of leafy greens and fruit together to make a smoothie. Sounds gross? well yeah it can be. Green smoothies have become a bit of a fad with lots of people claiming all sorts of things about what they will do for your health. They have become so popular there are now whole websites dedicated to them, crazy! 
I started drinking them a while ago when I did a bit of a detox and they were part of the menu, and at first I thought it was like drinking pond slime for breakfast... yum. Then I worked out what I liked in them and what my poor cheap blender could manage (not whole apples!). Now I have one for breakfast most days and I not only love the taste but I feel amazing for the whole morning after. Who needs coffee in the morning when you can have a fruit sugar high instead? Not convinced? you need to give one a try. I have written out my favorite combos for you and then you can see for yourself. 

 A few tips:
When you first start I recommend using spinach instead of kale as you can't taste the spinach but kale can be a little bitter.
You can use milk but I find coconut water or just plain water is fine most of the time. 
Great breakfast for when you are running late for work, you can even make them the night before and store it in the fridge. Give it  gentle shake and it is ready to go for the day. 

The recipes vary between 1 or 2 serves, mainly because sometimes I will share with Kev and sometimes I am not that nice.


creamy chocolate green smoothie (serves 2)

handful of kale or baby spinach
1 large frozen banana
tbsp raw cacao
tbsp of brown rice syrup (or honey or 2 dates)
tbsp almond butter
1/4 avocado
2 cups water or milk of choice (e.g. almond, soy, oat)


peach and lime smoothie (serves 2)

handful of kale or baby spinach
1 large frozen banana
1 peach (frozen if you like)
juice of 1/2 a lime
small handful of mint
2 cups water


blueberry and coconut smoothie (serves 2)

handful of Kale or baby spinach
1 cup frozen blueberries
2 cups coconut water
+/- frozen banana (up to you)


tropical holiday green smoothie (serves 2)

1/2 a mango
1/4 avocado
banana frozen
juice of 1/2 lime
1 tsp maca powder (optional: don't use if you are pregnant or breastfeeding)
2 cups coconut water
handful of kale or baby spinach


Green tea "wake me up" green smoothie (serves 2)

1 mango
1 large banana
1/2 lime
handful of kale or baby spinach
1 tsp matcha green tea 
2 cups of water


Breakfast for one green smoothie (serves 1)

1 cup oat milk
1 small banana (frozen)
handful of kale or baby spinach 
1/4 of a small avocado 
2 tbsp of rolled oats 


Have you ever tried a green smoothie? What do you put in yours? 

No comments:

Post a Comment