Sunday 18 November 2012

Sweet potato salad with miso dressing



It has not been a very exciting week around here for food. After having all four of my wisdom teeth taken out (ouch!) I really didn't feel up to eating much other then soups and smoothies. But after a few complications and nearly two weeks of a liquid diet I am starting to feel like I am up to managing solid foods, provided of course they are nice and soft. 
So food around here has been pretty boring, I am looking forward to something tangy and crunchy...
This salad came about out of needing a quick lunch that was soft (and not soup!) and that used up some of the veggies left in our fridge before I added all the new produce from the morning trip to the farmers markets.For those of you with out dental issues you could add a tin of chick peas and make it a complete meal, throw in some nuts or seeds (I'm thinking pine nuts and sesame seeds) add some fresh crunchy greens, maybe some baby spinach. So many options. 
It is starting to get warm here and we are heading into BBQ season. I'm always trying to think of things to take with me to events that are tasty enough that everyone will enjoy but can be a complete meal for me if there are not a lot of vego  options. So, this is a great option to take to your festive season events, its dairy free, gluten free, vegan, low fat, grain free.... basically it will suit everyone. Leave out the nuts and its super allergy friendly!


Ingredients (serves 2)


1 large sweet potato (cut into small cubes)
3 cups of greens (I used kale and spinach)
1 clove of garlic (crushed)
3 spring onions thinly sliced
small handful of fresh basil

Dressing

1 tbsp dark miso paste ( I used brown rice miso)
1 tbsp spoon tahini

1/2 cup water
pinch of dried chilli or cayenne pepper

Process

Steam the sweet potato until soft. While they are steaming make the dressing. Combine all the ingredients for the dressing in a blender and blitz until smooth and creamy. Set aside. In a pan heat a small amount of olive oil and add greens and garlic and quickly cook until just wilted.  Add the cooked sweet potato and stir gently to combine. Turn off the heat and pour over the dressing and fold through to combine. Add any extra add ins (chickpeas, nuts, seeds). Transfer to a big bowl and decorate with spring onions and basil. Enjoy warm.


No comments:

Post a Comment