Friday 24 August 2012

Peppermint mango smoothie


I love peppermint tea, in fact I love all things peppermint.  I drink peppermint tea constantly through out the day from my first one in the morning with honey lady honey to last thing before I go to bed. In march when I was at Womad I had a delicious mango and mint green smoothie at a raw food stand. I have been trying to recreate it ever since, but no matter how much fresh mint I added I couldn't get the same intense mint flavor. I recently also invested in a peppermint plant while at the farmers markets, and although for the first two weeks it looked like I was going to kill it, my plant has now perked up enough for me to enjoy brewing fresh peppermint tea. That when I started to think, if the flavor I want is so much stronger when I brew the leaves for tea, why not put peppermint tea in my smoothie. And it worked, and it is delicious. 

Ok, so it is really cold here at the moment, and mango and bananas are not in season, but I couldn't resist trying out my idea. I bought a packet of frozen mango cheeks and a bunch of Queensland bananas and set about making a peppermint smoothie. 







Ingredients
1/2  large mango (frozen)
1 banana (frozen)
1 small handful of kale
2 cups of peppermint tea
(brewed with fresh leaves or dried tea)


Put tea or fresh mint leaves in 2 cups of freshly boiled water and leave to infuse for 5-7mins. Meanwhile rinse and chop kale and dice banana and mango. When tea is brewed either strain if used dried tea or pour into blender leaves and all if used fresh. Add mango, banana and kale and blend for 1-2mins depending on how strong your blender is.
Enjoy.

A few notes:
It will not matter if the tea is hot when you add it in as the frozen fruit is enough to cool everything down.
I don't own a fancy vitamix blender, and although I am sure they are really nice I find my mid range blender (well the one I borrowed from my mum and haven't got round to giving back) does the job really well. 

No comments:

Post a Comment